United Way of Peel Region Recognizes Outstanding Partners
PEEL REGION (June 28, 2016) – United Way of Peel Region recognized outstanding partners and dedicated frontline social service staff at the organization’s Annual General Meeting last week.
- United Way presented Suncor Energy with the “Thanks a Million” award. The “Thanks a Million” award recognizes organizations that have raised $1-million or more in support of United Way Centraide in one campaign year.
- The Region of Peel was presented with the Community Partner Award. This award is presented to a company, organization or individual that has led our community to new levels of innovation and impact in Peel. The Region of Peel has partnered with United Way of Peel Region on a number initiatives including the response to help refugees of the Syrian crisis settle in Peel.
- The Bhayana Family Foundation Awards -- made possible by the generous support of Madan and Raksha M. Bhayana and the Bhayana Family Foundation. These are peer-nominated honours that recognize extraordinary contributions made by staff at United Way-funded agencies. The awards have also been given out in Toronto, Calgary, Lower Mainland and York Region.
The list of winners includes:
- Carol Medhurst - Caledon Parent-Child Centre
- Jin Zhang - Spectra Helpline
- Kelly Rumney - Caledon Parent-Child Centre
- Kimesha Thomas - Vita Centre
- Maame Debrah - United Way of Peel Region
- Melissa Luka – Nexus Youth Services
- Mona Fathieh - Newcomer Centre of Peel
- Nirpal Bhangoo -Punjabi Community Health Services
- Staceyan Sterling - March of Dimes Canada
“We are honoured to be recognized as a Thanks a Million recipient from the United Way of Peel,” said Kris Smith, Executive Vice-President, Suncor. “Every October, our employees, contractors and retirees come together for Suncor’s annual United Way campaign with one goal in mind – to help those in need in our communities. And every year I am blown away by their generosity and passion. Through volunteering, participating in fundraising events and making direct donations, our employees not only make a positive difference in their communities, but they show that they care. Together with United Way, we are helping to create a better world.”
“Our Foundation's mission is to honour the frontline staff-the unsung heroes-who work in social agencies funded by United Ways across Canada. They put their heart, soul, and mind into their work and with imagination, leadership and dedication they help people to fulfill and exceed their potential. They bring hope, solace, and happiness into the lives of the diverse communities they serve so well." - Raksha M Bhayana, Principal, Bhayana Management
“We are so fortunate to work with so many dedicated corporate partners, public servants and frontline social service staff. Our Peel community is full of Agents of Change,” says Shelley White, president and CEO of United Way of Peel Region. “Thanks to Suncor Energy, the Region of Peel, The Bhayana Family Foundation and all our extraordinary frontline staff, we are helping to ensure that every man, woman and child has a warm place to sleep, enough to eat and a chance at a better future.”
About United Way of Peel Region
Established in 1967, United Way of Peel Region inspires people from all walks of life to come together to raise funds, volunteer and motivate policy and attitude changes that lead to the improvement of people’s quality of life in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga. United Way’s community investment focus is to help individuals and families move from a life of poverty to one full of possibilities, to ensure all children have the opportunity to be all they can be, and to build strong communities. For more information on United Way’s work in the community visit: www.unitedwaypeel.org.
Roy Saad | Manager, Stakeholder Engagement
416-356-6344 (mobile) | firstname.lastname@example.org | @unitedwaypeel