United Way’s Young Leaders Council celebrates youth at 2013 Youth Spirit Awards
MISSISSAUGA (February 12, 2014) – On February 12, 2013, United Way of Peel Region’s Young Leaders Council hosted the Youth Spirit Awards at General Mills Canada.
The Youth Spirit Awards celebrate fundraising efforts by students in Peel Region – from six years old to 26! The four categories include:
- Social Spirit (Best use of social media)
- Helping Hands (Most volunteers)
- Uniquely Yours (Most innovative ideas)
- Biggest Bucks (Most money raised).
A room of over 200 students, parents and faculty filled the General Mills auditorium and were also brought to their feet by performances from Massey Street Public School, beatboxer Nassar Khan, and rapper Wali Shah.
This is the second year of the Youth Spirit Awards, and it is gaining momentum throughout the community. This year’s ceremony saw recipients from University of Toronto Mississauga, the Peel District School Board and the Dufferin-Catholic District School Board.
“Tonight is about celebrating you and your accomplishments,” said Shelley White, CEO and president of United Way of Peel Region. “Let this award be the beginning of your relationship with United Way – not the end.”
The Young Leaders Council was responsible for organizing the event and are already hard at work planning next year’s event.
“It’s truly inspiring what these young people can accomplish,” said Shivi Gill, Youth Campaigns Lead. “Everyone in this room has helped the community. From the students, to the parents, to the administrators – you are all creating an impact!”
Spirit Award Winners
- Helping Hands – QUEEN STREET PUBLIC SCHOOL
- Biggest Bucks – WHITEOAKS PUBLIC SCHOOL
- Uniquely Yours – ROBERTA BONDAR PUBLIC SCHOOL
- Helping Hands –GORDON GRAYDON MEMORIAL SECONDARY SCHOOL
- Biggest Bucks – GLENFOREST SECONDARY SCHOOL
- Uniquely Yours –GORDON GRAYDON SECONDARY SCHOOL
- Social Spirit – THE PEELS STUDENT PRESIDENTS’ COUNCIL
- Community Group – BOYS AND GIRLS CLUBS OF PEEL REGION
- Helping Hands – University of Toronto Mississauga ATHLETIC COUNCIL
- Biggest Bucks – University of Toronto Mississauga ATHLETIC COUNCIL
- Uniquely Yours – University of Toronto Mississauga MUSIC CLUB
- Social Spirit – University of Toronto Mississauga ATHLETIC COUNCIL
Promising New Initiatives
- Elementary – LARKSPUR PUBLIC SCHOOL
- Secondary – LOYOLA CATHOLIC SECONDARY SCHOOL
Emerging Leader Award
- WALI SHAH
Communications & Marketing