New Chair and Board members elected at United Way AGM
MISSISSAUGA (June 25, 2013) –More than 240 people attended United Way of Peel Region’s annual meeting today at The Garden Banquet & Convention Centre in Brampton.
At the Board of Directors meeting immediately following the annual meeting, Judy Burns was appointed Board Chair following the completion of Shaila Mehta’s term.
Burns is a health professional with more than 25 years of increasingly senior management postings. In June 2013, she was appointed Vice President responsible for the Grand River Hospital’s integrated cancer program, and Vice President of Waterloo Wellington Regional Cancer Program, Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) in June 2013. She has previously held the following positions: Acting Vice President for the Ontario Renal Network, CCO; Acting Vice President for Planning and Regional Programs; and CCO’s director of Corporate Projects. Burns has a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and a Master of Health Sciences in Health Administration.
Additionally, Burns is Past Chair of the Board of Directors of ErinoakKids Centre for Treatment and Development. She was elected to United Way of Peel Region's Board of Directors in 2011. Burns lives in Mississauga with her two sons.
“I’m looking forward to working with fellow Board members, United Way volunteers, donors and staff, as we unite to tackle the serious issues in our community and create lasting, positive social change,” said Burns.
The following individuals were elected to the Board of Directors for their first three-year term:
- Michelle Cole, Vice President, AMJ Campbell
- Dr. Anil Gupta, Staff Cardiologist, Medical Director, Trillium Health Partners
- Wayne Halenda, Managing Director, Structured Credit, CIBC
- Mariam Hashmi, Manager, People and Change Consulting Practice, KPMG and Chair, United Way Young Leaders Council
- Chuck Hounsell, Senior Vice President, Real Estate Secured Lending, TD Canada Trust
- Sven Spengemann, Professor and fellow, Glendon School of Public and International Affairs
- Dale Storey, Vice President, Marketing, General Mills Canada
- Jeanie Theoharis, Adjudicator/Liaison Member, Landlord and Tenant Board, Central Region
- Joe Vetrone, Vice President, Integration and Planning, Suncor
In addition to the newly elected officers, the following individuals are continuing as Board members: Thomas Dyck, Snigdha Malik, Ian Marshall, Shaila Mehta, Linda Kuga Pikulin, Sadaf Parvaiz, Serge Rochette, John Russo, Motilall Sarjoo and Narendra Shah.
For more information, contact:
Communications & Marketing