PepsiCo and GE receive prestigious United Way award
June 11, 2010
MISSISSAUGA — Today PepsiCo Canada and GE Canada, received the prestigious 2009 Thanks a Million Award at United Way of Peel Region’s annual general meeting. The annual Thanks a Million Awards are given by United Way of Canada-Centraide Canada to corporations, employers and labour organizations that have facilitated their employees or members raising $1-million or more for United Ways across the country.
This is the first time PepsiCo Canada is receiving the Thanks a Million Award. Three PepsiCo divisions are sharing the award: Pepsi Beverages Company Canada, PepsiCo Beverages Canada, and PepsiCo Foods Canada. Collectively they demonstrated strong commitment to United Way and the communities we serve, raising a grand total of $1,109,141. This was made possible through employee contributions, a corporate matching program, specials events, and an additional corporate gift of $50,000 from Pepsi Beverages Company Canada.
This is the third consecutive year GE Canada is receiving the award, proving they are passionate about making a long-lasting commitment to the health of the communities in which they operate. Spurred on by their campaign slogan: “Let’s Carry the Torch for a Brighter Tomorrow,” GE raised more than $1.1 million in their national campaign. These results were accomplished through an employee match program, spirited special events, an online giving program, and a national pensioners’ campaign.
“We congratulate and thank PepsiCo Canada, GE Canada and their employees for their exceptional achievement,” said 2009 Campaign Chair Bob Johnson. “Their commitment to the Peel community and communities all across Canada is truly inspiring.”
In addition to PepsiCo Canada and GE Canada, the following 51 organizations with locations in Peel received the 2009 Thanks a Million Award.
- ArcelorMittal Dofasco
- Bell Canada, its Employees and Retirees
- Best Buy & Future Shop
- BMO Financial Group
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Canada Post and its Employees across Canada
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Canadian Pacific Railway Limited
- Cargill Limited
- Chrysler Canada Inc.
- CN and its employees
- Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
- Esso Imperial Oil, and their employees and annuitants
Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited and Employees
Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign
Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life
- HSBC Bank Canada
- PCL family of companies
- Pratt & Whitney Canada and its Employees
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Procter & Gamble Inc.
- Richardson Partners Financial Limited
- Rogers Communications Inc.
- Scotiabank Group
- Sun Life Financial
- TD Bank Financial Group
- TransAlta Corporation
- UPS Canada/ UPS SCS Canada
- Xerox Canada Ltd.
Labour and Union Organizations
- Amalgamated Transit Union
- CAW – Canada
- Canadian Labour Congress
- Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers
- Canadian Union of Public Employees
- Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada
- International Association of Fire Fighters
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union
- Public Service Alliance of Canada
- Service Employees International Union
- Teamsters Canada
- UNITE HERE
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union
- United Steelworkers
“Congratulations to all the Thanks a Million Award winners for their outstanding dedication and support,” said outgoing United Way of Peel Region Board Chair Michelle Cole. “United we can make Peel a better community for everyone.”
Communications and Marketing Director